On Wednesday, February 16, 2005 at 9:54:20 PM [GMT -0500], Avi Yashar
wrote:

> Allie, I've been a lurker on this thread, because I've toyed with
> the idea of going to IMAP for a long while now. But I've always been
> put off by all of the complaints I read about IMAP clients,
> including TB. Once again, however, you've almost sold me on IMAP.
> But...

If you really love TB!'s features, then you'll not find a client good
enough to replace it, so if you look for better working IMAP than what
TB! currently offers, you'll find it, but then, you'll lose not being
able to work with some of TB!'s nice features. This is the case for me
with ThunderBird.

> The above paragraph is unclear to me. I don't follow your reference
> to Gmail and Yahoo. Did you mean to say that using Webmail -
> essentially on a permanent basis (and with 1GB of space) - is a
> comparable alternative to IMAP.

No. I'm just demonstrating that that server space provided by these
services is increasing. 2 yrs ago, the space for a Yahoo account was
10MB. Not good for IMAP. Now it's 1 GB. Hard disk space is now cheaper
and hence more is being provided, an advantage for IMAP
providers/users.

> One practical question I have and maybe you can help me with it. For a
> while now, I have set up my own domain. The hosting service that I
> have states nothing about IMAP access for email (although I can set up
> unlimited email accounts with Webmail access). If I want to collect my
> email via IMAP, will I have to go looking for another hosting service
> or is this just something that I can easily set up for myself? (And,
> FWIW, whatever your response to the above, it seems to me that ease of
> use and availability of access are two more major disadvantages of
> IMAP that you did not list.)

My own ISP doesn't provide IMAP as a service. I run my own IMAP
server. I use MDaemon personally, but it's not free and you'll need
the pro license. However, there are free solutions like Mercury/32
that you could use. They run very stably on your machine with very
decent overhead. You can then connect to your machine when you're away
from home or on another machine in your home. My laptop is in my
bedroom and it's so easy to simply fire it up and manage my mail with
it in a seamless fashion and connecting to the IMAP server on my
little home LAN.

--
   ..        .  .   |  IMAP Client: The Bat!™ v3.0.2.5
 _.||* _     |\/|   |    IMAP Server: MDaemon Pro

..... Upgrade: take old bugs out, put new ones in.