Hi Tony,
  On 10/05/2005 02:35 PM +0100, you wrote:

Company policy or your choice?

No. Not company policy. I run my personal machine at work so I install on it what I like. The sysadmins like me anyway, since they know I effectively keep out the viruses and such.

 If your choice, can I be so bold as to ask why? (Albeit I think I
know the  answer).

It's IMAP. All about IMAP.

I have a fairly slow connection at work and my battle with TB! at work was an epic one that I lost miserably. I gave in and used ThunderBird for a while. I now use Mulberry which offers me a tranquil IMAP experience at work. It works very well on slower connections.

TB!, barring the AV's, and now, only occasional glitches in IMAP, works well enough on a fast connection to be usable. With a slower connection, I'd be waiting too much. Glitches in TB! often means a rebuilding of the message base for a folder which often goes awry on my slower connection. A cache rebuild at home is a snap. However, at work, I'd sit there waiting for a folders cache to be rebuilt and wait for a looooooong time, only to see that it's being done in a corrupted fashion. Only a cache re-flush and TB! restart seem to help. I then have to wait for the cache to build properly on the TB! restart. I would have to wait for long periods for other operational reasons too. Again, these long waits amounts to a few seconds on a fast connection. Those days of anquish and waiting are over. It's Mulberry at work for me.

With Mulberry, I can start browsing a folder after only the info for listing 20 messages in a folder has been retrieved. TB! needs to list all messages before you can read one. I can retrieve one attachment among others that are within a single message. TB! will retrieve all the attachments before you can view one of them. IOW's, Mulberry already masters the ability to retrieve just what is needed to be able to read mail or work with attachments. So Mulberry seems fast though it's likely slower than TB! in querying the server and retrieving data. It's just that it retrieves so much less data overall, that the experience is faster.

--
 Allie Martin
System specs: http://www.ac-martin.com/sysspecs.htm

________________________________________________________ Current beta is 3.5 Return RC/5 | 'Using TBBETA' information: http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/TBUDLInfo.html IMPORTANT: To register as a Beta tester, use this link first - http://www.ritlabs.com/en/partners/testers/