On 01 June 2005 at 05:12, Allie wrote:

Thanks for your response, Allie. It's helped me to understand what's
going on.  Sometimes I think my biggest problem is not knowing what
all the options actually do.  :)

> That's a bummer. I compress on exiting folders and this seems to work
> most of the time.

I'm loathe to check that option as I don't want to expunge the
messages until I've exited the program.  I sometimes need to retrieve
the deleted messages.

<good explanation snipped for brevity>

> No. It would be better to just compress all folders intermittently or
> just after a startup or just before a shutdown of TB!. This is because
> compressing on exit isn't working for you.

Seems like that's the route I'll have to take.

<more good explanation snipped for brevity>

> I don't even know what to say here. AFAIK, the IMAP protocol makes the
> concept of a trash folder unnecessary. For example, Mulberry accounts
> don't carry trash folders. If you delete a message in IMAP, it's simply
> flagged as deleted. This is different from POP3 deletions. I know that
> for TB! POP3 deleted messages remain in the message base until you run a
> compress operation, but this isn't so for most other POP3 clients. As a
> result, trash folders are necessary.

After your explanation of how it works, I can see that it's
unnecessary for me to use a local trash folder. If I want to keep the
messages since I can be a little "delete happy" at times, I uncheck
the "compress when moving between folders" option and they'll be there
until I manually compress or exit the program (assuming that gets
fixed). If I want to keep them indefinitely, then I would also uncheck
the option to compress folders on exiting at which time the messages
would only be deleted when I manually compressed.

Again, thanks so much for your explanation.

--
Regards,
Terry

Using The Bat! v3.5.24 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1