Hello Avi!

On Thursday, June 23, 2005, 12:54 PM, you wrote:

>> > ... and we know what Mary's like for couthness :)

>> No, no! Uncouth is good!
>>
>> I just only have a religiously-inbred prejudice against seeing "damn"
>> and "hell" in print. (And other such approaches to taking the name of
>> the Judaeo-Christian deity in vain, by inference or otherwise.)
>>
>> Trying to overcome this deficiency in myself, however. :)

> So let me get this straight, Mary. It disturbs you to see words like
> "damn" and "hell" in print (unless they are in quotation marks),

LOL And "Oh God" and "omigod" also--there's even a Smiley kicking
around somewhere, too, for the last one :thinking: <sigh>

> ... but
> words like "sh_t", "f_ck", and... oh well... "motherf_cker" - am I not
> being subtle here by omitting a vowel - those words don't disturb you?

Well, yes, they do, but from a different brain-data-base. That's the
"be a lady" database of my Depression-era generation.

The others are from my Bible Belt brain-data-base.

But I have only complained publicly on TBBETA in the past about "damn"
and "hell," especially when guys were putting those into heated posts.
:)

Vernacular usages, such as "sweating like a pig," I am entirely at
home with. We say that sort of stuff in the U.S. Bible Belt, at least
in some social classes. :gdr:

Are you planning to join me here for fish and parsley, shortly? (I get
the fish and you get the parsley?)

Mary
The Bat 3.5.30 on Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 2