Hello Raymund Tump & everyone else,

on 24-Sep-2005 at 16:23 you (Raymund Tump) wrote:

>> There should be a configuration option for localised reply prefixes in the
>> subject, or a more intelligent algorhythm for subject matching.

> Well, there shouldn't be localized versions of Re: anyway.

You don't have to tell me that :-) ...tell Microsoft, Novell, the countless
Webmail providers throughout the world...

> But you're right as long as there are, a option for what should be
> identified as a Reply would be nice. Moreover any sequence of these reply
> markers should be threaded as a reply to that very subject. I've seen
> subjects like "Re: AW: Re: AW: Antwort: Re: Real subject".

Good point. I'll add that to the wish... once I can connect to the RL
issuetracker site again (seems to be down again).

>> I'm not sure if I should post this as a BUG or a WISH to the RL
>> issuetracker. Opinions?

> A wish. There's one RFC about the format of the subject, where was:
> Fwd: etc. are mentioned. That should be followed by any MUA as far as
> I know.

I can't find anything more specific than RFC 2822 (" Internet Message
Format"). About the subject prefix it contains only:

.-----
| When used in a reply, the field body MAY start with the
| string "Re: " (from the Latin "res", in the matter of) followed by the
| contents of the "Subject:" field body of the original message.
`-----

No word about FW:/FWD: and according to this definition, TB's own "Re[n]:"
is a violation of the RFC.

Other than that, I don't know how to interpret "MAY" here. OK, it means
"truly optional", but: does this mean, use "Re:" if you want, but nothing
else, or rather, "Re:" can be used, but anything else just as well?
Philosophical questions...

 Alexander (http://www.neurowerx.de - ICQ 238153981)

Room service? Send up a larger room. -- Groucho Marx

 Current beta is 3.61.07 (Echo) | 'Using TBBETA' information: