2/27/2007  7:31 AM

Hi Roger,

On 2/27/2007 Roger Phillips wrote:

RP> 1.  It seems only able only to look for an 'existing archive' in the form of
RP> a  file  which  has  a  name like 001.tbk; I presume this is to enable it to
RP> increment the number. IMO it would be better if it could look for a *folder*
RP> containing  the  backup files which would be individually independent with a
RP> date/time component in the file name instead of a serial number.

RP> 2.  At  the  moment it is possible to make a file title with a macro such as
RP> %DATE(yyyymmdd)  but  the programme then fails on the next iteration with an
RP> error  message  saying it cannot find the file! It would also be nice if the
RP> macro %THEBATVERSION would work in the title, but it doesn't now.

RP> 3.  Also  at  the  moment,  what is said in paragraph 2 only works if a full
RP> backup  is called for, it does *NOT* work if only a partial backup is called
RP> for, as I would like to do.

I totally agree. An ineffective tool is more dangerous than no tool.
Windows Defender and Windows Firewall (XP) are perfect examples. They
lure the ignorant user into a sense of well-being while putting it to
them from behind.

Backups for TB are no more or less important than any of the user's
other data. Opening a Help window at startup _briefly_ emphasizing the
value of a backup routine and explaining where to find the feature in
TB is the best that can effectively be done. No one is ever helped by
someone attempting to take away their responsibility. Based on my
experiences, I trust using the TB backup utility less than I trust TB
to remain stable. Having a Recycle Bin feature to provide a recovery
from misuse of the Delete key would be infinitively more valuable than
an automated backup.

My comments are based on working with hundreds of users around the
world in different cultures.

--
Take Care,
Paul

Voyager v.3.95.06 on Win2k SP4-Rollup1 5.0.2195
No IMAP  OTFE