Hello all,

Although Spell Checker is working for most of us, everyday I see that
one or more of the three engines (SSCE, CSAPI and Hunspell) is not
working for some.

The SSCE engine is the one that has always been included with TB and
the SSCE languages (dictionaries) in the Pro version and International
Pack.

TB has always (or at least since a long time ago) supported CSAPI spell
checker and languages from MS Office 97. My understanding is that only
Office 97 engine and dictionaries can be used, but I am not 100% sure
about this.

Now, the latest release (actually since 4.0.0.17 ALPHA) also supports
the Hunspell engines and dictionaries and the fact that you can select
and use two or more languages simultaneously, and from any of the three
engines (See All_DICs.png)

One important thing to understand and remember is that you do not
select 'dictionaries' for spell checking, you select 'languages'. And
that if there are dictionaries for that language from different
engines, they will all be used. In this case, the rule is: as soon as a
word is found correct by one of the dictionaries, it is considered
correct (even if another dictionary wouldn't consider it as correct).

Because of this is why I made a comparison of the Spanish and Britis
English dictionaries for the three engines.

You nay have seen my <mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in
which I compared the Spanish dictionary of the three languages. That
obviously meant that I had the three engines running.

Currently I have four languages installed:

  America English (SSCE)
  British English (SSCE)
  Spanish (CSAPI)
  Italian (Hunspell)

As you can see in All_Dics.png I can even select and use them
simultaneously, and they do work.

But to "prove" that the three engines work and they all find misspelled
words and suggest corrections, I have also attached a screen shot of
each. You can see the language being used in the status bar and the
suggestions for a misspelled (in that language) word.

Mainly because of the limitation in the size of attachments that can be
sent to the list, and perhaps for the sake of clarity, I will follow up
with three more messages (parts 2 to 4) explaining my set-up for each
of the engines.

If this and following messages helps just one of you to get your spell
checking to work, I'll be happy :)

Miguel A. Urech (El Escorial - Spain)
Using The Bat! v4.0.12 on Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2