Hello Costas,

> I'm  not  using  any  filtering view to see the Inbox.

It was a possibility. It wouldn't be the first time I use a quick filter
(Alt+click on something) and then forget to Escape it and when I move to
another folder no messages are shown.

> Its size in the last few days has increased to more than 5MB from
> about 800KB even though if I total the new messages now shown in it
> they don't add up to that size.

That's weird. You may try one more thing to try to see what's
happening. Move the messages that you now see to another folder and then
compress (Remove Deleted is called now) the Inbox. What size is it now?
You may then also try to open the messages.tbb file with a text editor
and see if there is any text part that "resembles" any of your old
messages.

> I also tried to see if there are any deleted messages that may explain
> the figure, but there was only one - a Welcome message from RIT Labs.

I was also going to suggest that.

> I  also  tried the importing test that you suggested. It imported only
> the  current Inbox messages, but not also the ones that are hidden (or
> gone?).

Did you check the size of the folder after importing?

I'm actually running out of ideas.

Miguel A. Urech (El Escorial - Spain)
Using The Bat! v4.0.34.15 (ALPHA) on Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 3