I just made a quick experiment aimed at 'properly terminate' the background
color:

Attached, you will find 'ThebatMessage.html' which is a copy of my
original message from this thread, which displayed the problem.

Also attached, you will find 'ModifiedMessage.html' which no longer
has the problem.

The difference between these two messages is the addition of a
"</span>" statement at the end of the background colored areas.

It seems that the HTML editor should be modified to add
this "end of SPAN" statement at the end of each of the background
colored areas.

 jm

 I'm using The Bat! Version 4.2.10.12
Title: HTML Editor: Text background colour is not properly terminated

Hello TBBETA,

This message is intentionally sent in HTML format.

The HTML editor allows you to change the background colour (or color if you like) of part of your message.
This feature was satisfactorily working since the beginnings of the HTML editor, but has become unusable is the last versions of Thebat.
I did not find it mentioned in this list nor in the Thebat bugtracking system. In my opinion, this problem is blocking.

I will try to illustrate by producing the problem in this very message, with the procedure that follows:

1- I mark 'TEXT1' below with the mouse.
2- I color the marked text by clicking the 'Text background' button (in HTML editor) and choosing the yellow color.
3- Similarly, I color 'TEXT3' in blue color.
4- Everything looking alright, I press the 'Send the message' button, the message is sent normally.
5- Going back to the message, I see that it has been 'destroyed' because the non colored parts are now colored.
6- Naturally, this destroyed message has been sent to my correspondents...

TEXT1 TEXT2
TEXT3 TEXT4

Could somebody please confirm this problem ?