On 08/06/2016 01:27 PM, Dr. Greg Wettstein wrote:
> On Aug 6,  5:24am, Chris Laprise wrote:
> } Subject: Re: [tboot-devel] Crash/system reset with linux 4.4
>
> Hi, I hope the weekend is going well for everyone.
>
>> Thanks. I don't know why Fedora (Qubes dom0) hasn't updated tboot in
>> their repo; I'll try a newer version as your feedback suggests.
> In the Qubes environment tboot is starting the Xen hypervisor rather
> then the Linux kernel directly, as would be the case with a stock
> Ubuntu setup.  The dom0 kernel is in the multiboot load stack but the
> hypervisor is responsible for configuring and setting up the domain
> execution environment which the kernel will run in.
>
> It is thus somewhat of a stretch to infer the behavior of a stock
> kernel boot to that of even the same kernel in a Qubes environment.
>
> Just as a clarification for the readers of the list, when you say the
> tboot-based boot sequence 'fails with a system reset', where does the
> system reset occur?  Does the Authenticated Code Module (ACM) reset
> the system post GETSEC/SENTER, does the Xen hypervisor itself crash or
> does the hypervisor reboot itself secondary to a dom0 launch failure?

Hi,

I do not have an RS232 serial port for close inspection, and I think the
other affected users are in the same situation. However, I did try
console=vga for Xen and that allowed me to take a video of the output
(unfortunately, the screen quickly clears whether or not reboot is
disabled).

A transition at "*** LOADING DOMAIN 0 ***" is reached, then two memory
tables (physical and virtual) are shown. The last two lines shown before
the screen goes dark and system halt/reset are:

(XEN) Scrubbing Free RAM on 1 nodes using 2 CPUs
(XEN) .................................

If you would like, I could type in some of the log output (I haven't
been able to capture 100% on video).

> The actual tboot footprint inside of the Linux kernel is fairly
> minimal.  Basically enough infrastructure to probe for and access the
> tboot reserved memory region and to handle the re-validation of the
> environment secondary to the system going into and out of sleep state.
>
> Doing this requires the e820 memory map to be interrogated by dom0.
> In the case of a Qubes launch, by the time the Linux kernel does this
> it is dealing with a memory map which has been manipulated by both
> tboot and the Xen hypervisor.  The fact that the min_ram setting has a
> remediative effect on this regression suggests this is some type of
> issue with physical memory layout management.
>
> Getting a handle on these system launch failures requires getting
> console logging out of tboot, Xen and the dom0 kernel, either through
> a physical or AMT mediated serial console.  At a minimum, set the
> reboot=no flag on the hypervisor, in the case of simple VGA logging
> that will at least tell you if this is a dom0 launch failure and what
> the hypervisor was doing in the lead up to the failure.
>
> Knowing Joanna Rutkowska's reputation, I'm assuming that Qubes is
> running with a Launch Control Policy (LCP) which verifies the
> integrity of the boot stack.  As you are debugging these issues make
> sure that the operative LCP is updated after any command-line
> parameters have been changed, otherwise you will end up trading the
> reset you are debugging with an ACM reset secondary to an LCP
> verification error.

If what you mean is that an LCP is defined to make the system halt when
the ACM's conditions aren't met, then I believe the answer is 'no' (but
ITL staff know this better than I).  The anti-evil-maid feature which is
utilizing TXT here amounts to a user-enforced verification step that
hinges on whether a user-supplied secret phrase can be unsealed and
displayed; The user can choose to continue booting when verification fails.

>> Chris
> I hope the above is helpful.
>
> And yes, we have spent lots of time working on tboot problems... :-)
>
> Have a good week.
>
> Greg
>
> }-- End of excerpt from Chris Laprise
>
> As always,
> Dr. G.W. Wettstein, Ph.D.   Enjellic Systems Development, LLC.
> 4206 N. 19th Ave.           Specializing in information infra-structure
> Fargo, ND  58102            development.
> PH: 701-281-1686
> FAX: 701-281-3949           EMAIL: g...@enjellic.com
> "Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication and many
>   accomplishments, owes the fact of his existence to a six-inch layer of
>   topsoil and the fact that it rains."
>                                  -- Anonymous writer on perspective.
>                                     GAUSSIAN quote.

Thanks for your input, Greg!