On Sep 2,  5:12pm, "Sun, Ning" wrote:
} Subject: RE: [tboot-devel] reset after GETSEC[SENTER] on redhat platforms

Good afternoon, I hope the end of the week is going well for everyone.

> *Intel: https://github.com/01org/TPM2.0-TSS
> *TSS2 based tpm2-tools: https://github.com/01org/tpm2.0-tools

Yes, we are very familiar with both of those projects.

Given they are C++ implementations on top of the TSS reference library
they are somewhat more of a formidable body of code to understand,
build and deploy, particularly in embedded environments which we focus
on.

The mileage of others will certainly vary of course.

> *IBM: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ibmtpm20tss/

That is the project from Ken Goldman's lab at IBM's TJ Watson
facility, that I referenced in my e-mail and that we use as the basis
for our TPM2 tooling.  It is very complete and very well done.

In order to be useful as a tooling support library it benefits from
some minor patches to create a versioned shared library and also
requires the necessary cohort of include files to be abstracted out
into an independent include directory.

Ken's lab also has their TPM2 simulator up on Sourceforge and we would
strongly recommend that anyone who goes the route of rolling their own
tooling from the TSS library get that running to test their code on.
We also recommend downloading the four TPM2 reference PDF's
(Architecture, Structures, Commands, Supporting Routines) from the
TCG's web-site and be prepared to do some reading.

Once you get all that running, those who are interested in TPM2 based
platforms will want to read and study the Intel TXT Software
Development Manual very closely to understand the NVram configuration
guidelines and LCPv3 requirements for TPM2 based platforms.   The
NVram index authorization attribute system is completely different on
TPM2 based systems and the tboot distribution only supports the
creation of attributes on TPM1.2 based systems.

Perhaps most importantly for anyone trying to get past GETSEC[SENTER],
based on the documented inheritance relationship between the PS and PO
policies it isn't clear that the current tboot policy tool,
lcp2_crtpol, will create a valid PO policy on TPM2 based plaforms.  If
anyone else gets this far you can test this by trying an MLE with and
without a PO policy in place.  The presence of even the most basic PO
policy, ie ANY policy, causes the ACM to reset the platform without
any updates to the TXT.ERRCODE register.

This may also effect the interpretation of an LCPv3 policy on non-TPM2
based systems, which could be at the root of the hardware resets which
are currently under discussion.  All of that logic, unfortunately, is
in the ACM which has been rather studiously designed to be
non-debuggable.

Just as a point of general interest, the PCONF policy element
completely changes in TPM2 based systems.  Is there anyone in the
world who has even tried to build and get an ACM to execute a PCONF2
based policy element with a TPMS quote structure imbedded in it?

> Regards,
> -NIng

Have a good weekend.

Greg

}-- End of excerpt from "Sun, Ning"

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein, Ph.D.   Enjellic Systems Development, LLC.
4206 N. 19th Ave.           Specializing in information infra-structure
Fargo, ND  58102            development.
PH: 701-281-1686
FAX: 701-281-3949           EMAIL: g...@enjellic.com