Hello Raj,

On 10 Dec 2001 at 08:42:37 you wrote (at least in part):

R> I  have had a long chat with the ISP and they say it appears to be a application
R> clash with port 110.

R> Any suggestions as to how to identify w/o reinstalling / reformmating the m/c

Seems the only way to figure out what's going on on port 110 is a
packet sniffer.

All symptoms you're writing about (only port 110, your neighbor not
affected, only broadband) refer to a TCP-stack or even IP-stack
related problem at your computer. Neither the ISP nor somebody else
will be able to help or figure out :-(
The browser related problem you were writing about let guess this is
in conjunction with a DNS problem or, much more worse, a deeper TCP
related one, not always bound to port 110 (as the browser normally
uses port 80 as destination). Seems like something, either your
computer or your broadband modem has a problem with big IP packets,
maybe they are fragmented because of it's size and that causes
trouble.

I'd suggest trying out ethereal and maybe we get a clue what's
happening around your network ...
--
Regards
Peter Palmreuther                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Absence makes the heart go wander.