Hi Daniel

You wrote:

> I think that if we calculate/read the message's GMT hour, we can only be
> off by 0 hours, + 24 hours, or -24 hours, because GMT is GMT no matter
> which side of the International Date Line the message was sent from.

That is correct, but determining which is the case without knowing your
local offset is not trivial in TB.  I have to think about how to implement
this, but the best way seems to be to look at the relative day of week.  If
my day is the same as the correspondent, no problem.  If my day is behind
the correspondent, my offset is 24 hours too high.  If my day is ahead of
the correspondent, my offset is 24 hours too low.

> I infer that there are only twelve (a very finite number) of possible
> offsets:

Yes, but it is actually easier than you have listed.  The whole point is
that this template system should be able to handle the job on its own, with
no prior knowledge about your timezone.  That's where things get tricky.

> Windows knows (or has calculated) whether to keep Daylight or
> Standard Time. Can Window's brain be picked?

I've tried to access this through scripts, and it doesn't appear to be
easy.  Unless Windows stores the information in a plain text file (INI or
something), you would need to create some sort of script that would update
a file that TB can access once a day or so.  This isn't ideal in general.

If Windows does keep the information in some common INI file, then we're in
business.  Pulling out the information would be almost trivial with an
appropriate regexp.

Unfortunately I don't have time these days to dig through my Windows
configuration files.  If someone knows where this info is stored, your help
would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Januk Aggarwal

 Current version is 1.61 | "Using TBTECH" information: