Hallo Victor,

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 20:17:29 -0500GMT (17-12-02, 2:17 +0100GMT, where
I live), you wrote:

VBG> Is there a way to simply prove that someone has sent me a
VBG> message from the location they say

The easiest way is to make them confirm their subscription, that's why
most lists use that option. Remember that lots of people don't know
their own ip-address, because they're on dhcp or simply don't care.

VBG> I wish to run a single optin mailing list and will send a "no
VBG> need to confirm your subscription message out along with the
VBG> IP address" Of course every message will have a remove link.

Best way to do that is to send a welcoming message and wait for
bounces (or replies) and remove those addresses. You'd need to do the
same for bounces to normal list messages.

Therefore you need to identify bounces, so you can determine the
original addressee. (Mind you I'm approaching this with the idea you'd
like it to go full automatic.) Since no two bounces are formed in the
same way and considering the limitations of TB's filtering system I
see one way to go. Each list member should get his own returnpath
(bounces are being sent to the returnpath).
It's not easy to configure something like this and I think you'd loose
the possibility to address your recipients by their name, because TB
limits the things you can add automatically to the address book.
However, since you're going to look for a rather wide range of
addresses, the most important thing is that you have your own domain
and that all possible bounces get filtered into the same account by
your domain mail server.
If by any case you have your own domain, you'd better use a mail
server that offers list server capability. And Mailtraq the mail
server on my LAN is able to configure a list with unique returnpath's
by checking one checkbox.

--
Groetjes, Roelof

 Current version is 1.61 | "Using TBTECH" information: