Hi there!

On 11 Oct 99, at 10:52, Keith Russell wrote
    about "Re: Tips Language, 1.36 release":

> > Okay, I'll try to explain <sigh>:-)) It's not simple to explain
> > anyway, it's more of "trial and error" thing IMHO, and besides
> > IMO it's usually *pretty* hard to explain those 8-bit matters to an
> > English-speaker (maybe, too proud of your own language? no
> > personal offence, please:-))).
>
> Hey, not me! I was educated as a linguist and have studied (hold on
> while I count) at least eight languages, including Russian. Why do you
> think I'm interested in this, anyway? Too proud of my own language?
> Not me! I'll take Korean any day 8-).

Oops... My apologies. After all, it's *usually* hard to convince
Americans in the fact that there exists something other then
their beloved US-ASCII:-)) Have met with such an attitude
heaps of times, "like face meets the table":-))

> Anyway, no offence taken :-).

Thanx:-)

> Alexander, actually I understand all this, having spent a lot of time
> with CJK encoding. I'm sure your time won't be wasted, though, because
> I'm sure that there are other interested subscribers
> who will benefit from it.

Hope too, I had this in mind when composing the explanation in
question.

> Actually, I'm at work and just checked again. Syllable's original post
> displays garbage, but your response (also quoted above) gives me
> perfect Russian 8-). Were you cheating somehow?

Well, *my* posting surely had "KOI8-R" as it's charset, so no
wonder it arrived as expected. What for the other one, I'm not
sure, 'coz I haven't seen it's headers. Maybe it had something
like ISO-8859-1, then TB on your side would have chosen the
Western script for the font used --- but since *I* am still using
Pegasus, and it has a really poor 8-bit support compared to TB
(and point me to any e-mail app that has better multilingual
support then TB!), I had all the chances not to note the fact.

> I'll have to admit--I did forget to check the font (maybe because it
> doesn't seem to make any difference to a Korean display, which font I
> choose!). But I still haven't found one that will display Russian.

All the standard TT fonts that come with Windows will. For
example, Arial and Courier. In general, every font supporting
Cyrillic script will.

> The next question is this: You gave Arial as an example of a font that
> supports Cyrillic, but Arial is not available to me in The Bat! In
> fact, few of the many fonts I have installed are. How do I get The
> Bat! to see it?

There exists a registry hack originally invented by me that gives
this opportunity, but the results are questionable. For Arial
(which's extremely non-monospaced) the results are horrible,
just plain horrible. For the fonts close to monospaced it might
become tolerable. What for me, I *am* using Arial (it saves a
real lot of screen real estate for me), but then I'm using
Pegasus. When switching to TB I prefer Andale mono, thanks
to the guys here who discovered this font:-)

> > Well, HTH:-)
>
> HTH???

"Hope This Helps":-)

> The Transport section of Account Preferences has a setting for 8-bit
> character treatment. I suspect that this might also affect the Russian
> display.

It shouldn't. If it does, then it's a clear bug on TB's side. This
statement is based on what's written in RFC2047.

> Thanks again for taking the time to compose this lengthy response!

No problem:-)

SY, Alex
(St.Petersburg, Russia)
--
Thought for the day:
  The more time you spend in reporting on what you are doing,

---
PGP public keys on keyservers:
0xA2194BF9 (RSA);   0x214135A2 (DH/DSS)
fingerprints:
F222 4AEF EC9F 5FA6  7515 910A 2429 9CB1 (RSA)
A677 81C9 48CF 16D1 B589  9D33 E7D5 675F 2141 35A2 (DH/DSS)
---