Hello, fellow Bat-lovers.

On Saturday, October 16, 1999, 1:12:27 PM, Alexander wrote:

[good info snipped]

>> Yes... This is interesting. As expected, the subject line in the
>> message you sent me is garbage until I run UnionWay AsianSuite and set
>> it to Big 5; the subject then becomes good, readable Chinese.
>>
>> However, if I then "Show Kludges", the subject is identified as
>> ISO-8859-1, in contrast to the subject header below, which correctly
>> identifies it as Big 5.

> It in fact doesn't matter. Two cases:

> 1. with ISO-8859-1 it supposedly works this way:

> a. Some text in Double-byte language (DBL from now on);
> b. Each byte is encoded to ISO-8859-1;
> c. The header states "ISO-8859-1";
> d. On the receipient's end *his* e-mail reader needn't even to
> know that this was in DBL; it just decodes it *from* ISO-8859-1
> byte-by-byte... Of course, the sequence of bytes is okay now,
> equivalent to what was on the sender's end;
> e. Now provided that the system supports DBL (fonts etc.) it just
> "glues" each pair of bytes together and displays it OK.

> 2. with Big5 (or any other double-byte encoding) it works as it
> should, look through RFCs (again, RFCs 2045--2048).

Thanks for the RFC pointers. I think I've read all these in the past,
but could obviously use a review.

When you say "it doesn't matter" above, do you mean:

1. Even with ISO-8859-1, it will display properly, or
2. The RFCs say it doesn't matter.

In other words, is this standard-compliant behavior?

> So well, now, having wrote all this, I cannot tell you for sure
> how it works in the case of TB. What I *do* know is that the
> guys using Pegasus with Chineeze use ISO-8859-1 without
> any problems (as far as I understood them). Simply Pegasus
> doesn't support Big5 or any other bouble-byte encoding
> directly.

Very interesting.

> And another thing: I cannot understand, where [the hell] TB
> leads to errors? What happens if you specify ISO-8859-1 as
> the default encoding, then modify the X-LAT for ISO-8859-1 to
> use the proper font and script? Now if you try to send the
> message in DBL to yourself, can you read it? Can somebody
> else read it? And why?

Good questions.

>> > Subject: =?big5?B?Rlc6IMLgsUg6IKRqrfSkaq9mrHI=?=

> Once again, it's just a properly formed MIME Subject line... In
> Base64 encoding.

Yes.

Thanks for jumping in here, Alexander. Sometimes I act like I
understand this stuff, but when it comes right down to it, there's so
much to know, and I really understand relatively little....

 Keith Russell
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]