On 02 November 1999 at 21:03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] told the list:

MH> I have returned to The Bat! and like it enough this time around to
MH> have purchased the edu licence :-)

:-)

MH> However, I have noticed during the past 4 days, that I have had to
MH> repair 4 different folders. I had a similar problem when I first
MH> tried The Bat!, but nothing like this. I should add, that my
MH> system now is so different from my original system, both harware-
MH> and software-wise, that I don't think the problem is my setup.

Well,  I  have  near  37000 messages spread over 160+ folders and have
only  ever  had  problems  like those you describe when I have "messed
about"  with the folder structure in both TB and Windows Explorer in a
less than clearly thought out manner (ahem) :-).

I  have no suggestions as to why you would be experiencing the need to
repair  folders  on  a regular basis, although it's not entirely clear
what you mean by "repair".

MH> It is not too difficult to repair, but it is a pain in you know
MH> where, and if it really is a built-in weakness (feature?), why not
MH> make the reinexing much easier?

It  may be more useful, in the short term, to establish why you are in
the  position  of  having  to repair and re-index folders on a regular
basis.   Also,   I  believe  that  the  current  version  of  TB  will
automatically  re-index  a  folder  if  the index file is not present.
There  is  no  interface  to  remove  a  current index to allow such a
rebuild to occur, so perhaps your suggestion is a good one.

OTOH,  would folder purge / compress not result in a re-index? Or does
TB use the current index to determine where to purge /compress?

Cheers,
Marck
--
Marck D. Pearlstone, Consultant Software Engineer
Co-moderator TBUDL / TBBETA discussion lists