Saturday, December 11, 1999, 1:15:26 PM, Douglas wrote:
> As Linux becomes more of a finished product, the costs associated with it
> seem to be rising commensurately.

    My costs for my Linux server have remained the same for the past 2-3
years.  Power.  I have to pay for the power it consumes.  Now, if that cost is
rising, well, that is a fact of basic inflation.

> And while windows was garbage from the start (I began with OS/2, myself), by
> throwing enough money at it I'm told that NT at least has improved a lot.

    No, NT has *NOT* "improved" a lot at all.  It is more of the same.  The
improvement is only in the mind of Redmond spin doctors.

> Will Linux get beyond being a server OS and compete with Windoze at the user
> level? (The Linux camp itself is split) and,

    Maybe it will, maybe it won't.  The Linux camp, however, is not split.
They are doing what they have always done, worked on the OS to what they like.

> 2).- If Languages like MetaWare High C/C++/ EC++ PwrPC Toolset Linux
> and various versions of Fortran, as well as Cross Assemblers/Compilers
> like METROWERKS CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux GNU Edition and Graphics
> Motif for Linux and all available, will the Delphi compiler make that
> much of a difference? Or is the statement founded in TB's have been
> programmed in Delphi?

    Delphi is the language a LOT of applications on Windows are developed on.
If I had to place things like "speed of development" and "power" into a scale
VB has the least power but it appears to be able to allow people to make
applications fast.  Delphi has a lot more power but doesn't sacrifice the
speed (and no VBRUN.DLLs, dammit!).  The different C implementations give the
programmer a lot of power, but the speed of development drops off a bit.

    Up there I see you mention about 4-5 different C compilers.  Delphi will
be entering the field against two Open Source Pascal projects.  I think that
will make a mark since it will give a familiar interface to the many Delphi
programmers out there.

    Two programs I use extensively that I know are programmed in Delphi: The
Bat! and LeechFTP.

> One more thing, on a totally different track. Are there any good
> directories on the internet that provide data regarding the people
> behind the email address? Meaning, can you obtain more detailed data
> regarding the person using the email address, when that's all you
> have? Thanks in advance for the answers.

    Geez, I hope not.  Personal privacy is being invaded left and right in
record numbers.  We don't need a central database for anyone to get into on
the 'net to make it even lower!