--- START OF FORWARDED MESSAGE ----------------------------------------------
   From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Sullivan)
   Date: 03/10/20, 06:54:23 ã
Subject: Re: Wish list from a new user of The Bat

On Sunday 9 January 2000 Alexander V. Kiselev wrote:
> On 9 Jan 00, at 3:24, Steve Lamb wrote:
>>     Plug-ins are not the end-all, be-all answer, trust me.

I agree here. After all, the logical extension of this is the null
application which does *nothing* other that to make calls to its
plug-ins!

> Gee, I feel like wishing to agree with this;-) Plugins are excellent way to *add*
> functionality that doesn't belong to the main featureset of the program. But you
> won't reimplement the features already available, however buggy, via plugins:-)

Actually, there *are* ways to implement this.

Going back to MS's Object Model design guide[1], one of the design
models they recommend is that the host application implement events
for pretty much all of its actions. An interested plug-in can then
register for these events. When performing some action, The Bat! would
then call the plug-in twice: the first before doing any processing,
the second afterwards. Both calls pass a complete set of parameters
for the action to the plug-in, and the first call also passes an
additional "Cancel" parameter, so that the plug-in can completely
suppress the built-in functionality if it so desires. It should be
clear that when done properly this results in a *very* powerful
facility for the plug-in writer, and having implemented it myself I
can say that it contributes a minimal amount of bloat to the host
application.

(I will try and dig out an on-line link to this document. The only
copy I have is a print-out.)

[1] I know Steve doesn't like MS (I assume you're running The Bat!
    in the WINE emulator under Linux then ;-), however to state that
    everything they do and everyone who programs for them is bad is a
    logical impossibility - if they were *that* incompetent then you'd
    expect at least a few good people to slip through their
    recruitment procedures!

>> > Some people want handy little reminders, it would be nice to be able
>> > to go download a little package that adds those reminders.
>>
>>     Nor have I ever seen plug-ins be able to integrate themselves into a
>> program to be able to do this.  Plug-ins cannot modify the core program unless
>> they are given access to do so.

And that's the crunch - you only achieve the most powerful
capabilities when the host application exposes *all* its actions and
functionality to the plug-in interface.

John
--
you gave me something that i could touch in a world where i'd had too much
something i could feel with my broken hands full of lost ideals but soon i'm