Saturday, January 15, 2000, 1:58:51 AM, Oleg wrote:
> At least I have need in preview when killing mail. The preview in TB! is
> based on the editor. Or should there be external message viewer also?

    It isn't based on the editor.  It is the other way around.  The preview is
just a viewing object, no editing.  It is like saying that ACDSee is based on
Photoshop.

> Inserts a list of files attached to original message. I don't need it as a
> part of my template which will be passed to an editor from TB! when editor
> called, because I'll better forget to insert it than will have
> 'Attachments:<none>' in every message. How to implement it with external
> editor.

    Uhm, I don't get it.  It will work since that is parsed before the message
is passed to the external editor.

> Release Shift
> Press Home (if we are speaking about selecting set of lines)
> Hold Shift
> Move the cursor to the desired first line.

> What's  the  problem?  Losing  my current marked text? So what? Why to
> bother?

    Losing the current marked text.  Why bother?  Ever try to remark 9 pages
of text because of a missed line?  You're also assuming that "home" takes to
where I want, which it does not.  In this one case...

Release shift, PGUP 9 times, up arrow, SHIFT, PgDn 9 times, CNTL-C, move to
place I want it, Shift-INS.

    In joe:

^U 9 times, up arrow, ^K^B, move to where I want it, ^K^C.

    In vim:

o, up arrow, y, move to where I want it, P.

    See the large difference there.  In two words: Less Work.

> I think you will agree that there is no sence in calling external editor for
> filling in any inputline in, say, account properties (and how about address
> list?).

    No, but those don't require a lot of editing, do they?

> The more tough question should there be internal editor for template
> editing or better to script all macros using external editor's scripting
> tool or to ask authors of that editor to add these extensions. The question
> is where to stop.

    Those would be nice.

> You are talking about User Choice. OK, my choice -- current TB!'s internal
> editor.

    And how does this change that?

> What we do with me now? I don't mean ideal philosophy, I mean my particular
> case.

    You really don't want me to answer that.

> I prefer to have 5 specialized editors rather than one capable of doing 5
> tasks. Because combined mixer and coffee grinder is bad mixer and bad coffee
> grinder.

    *ROFL*

    Mail Client - Coffee Mixer
    Internal Editor - Coffee Grinder.

    Thank *YOU* for proving my point.

> One more question: will TB! be commercially successful product if it will
> come out with no internal editor?

    Maybe.  Noone has ever tried it before.  Actually, my advice on the whole
matter would be to ship with an external editor preconfigured and explain in
the help, in great detail, that it isn't needed and that the person can use
anything.

> P.S. I have lost your post saying that you prefer to be right and rude
> rather than being polite and wrong. I still can't imagine example when a man
> is forced to be rude to be right. Especially in a maillist. I just can't see
> a contradiction in being right and being polite.

    I do.  Because I have sat on phones patiently and politely telling people
the right thing professional for years and it got me crap in return.  I am
flat out tired of being polite to people who aren't polite in return.  That
means if a thread goes 2-3 messages with the other person being a clueless nit
they will get their nuts roasted, no questions asked.  Sometimes a little heat
makes people listen when they otherwise would be closed to the truth.