Hello John Sullivan,
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:39:23 +0000 GMT your local time,
which was Thursday, January 27, 2000, 6:39:23 PM (GMT+0700) my local time,
John Sullivan wrote:

> If you select the mfc42.dll in explorer and press Alt-Enter, the
> version tab will tell you which version of MFC you have installed. On
> the microsoft support site (support.microsoft.com) there is a list of
> shipped MFC versions - search for "MFC version history", or now there
> is a dedicated page listing the shipped versions of *all* microsoft
> components (and which product they shipped in), but I forget the exact
> URL to this.

I normally do a search as these files tend to be on systems many
times.

> If you're running NT5/Windows 2000, then System File Protection
> prevents this completely. The only officially endorsed way is to
> update them through an official service pack or the windows update
> website. (I'm sure other, less official, ways will be discovered very
> soon though :-)

easy...
at least one Dos program will go into NTFS files and allows writing
and I guess that the NTFS drive reading program under windows also
will allow that.
More important is what happens after you replace them as changing
things like this in a secret way could collapse the OS around your
ears....

> For situations like this, MS now recommend putting the needed version
> of the DLL in the same directory as the application. I'm not sure if
> this works 100% of the time now, but they've modified the way DLLs
> work in Win2000 specifically to try and stop "DLL Hell".

Supposedly autorecovering

> John

tracer

Using theBAT 1.41 / Beta1 with Windows NT
mail to : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I am using FireTalk: 321338
ICQ: on request
Website: www.phuketcomputers.com