Hello John,

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 at 11:25:07 [GMT +0900], you wrote:
JDH> The question you still didn't address is: What is Routing? More
JDH> specifically, when you set a string in a Routing kill filter,
JDH> which headers does The Bat! examine to find that string? In my
JDH> experiments it did not look at the To: header.

JDH> This really should be in the Help file.

Sorry, one of those things that you thought everybody knew.

Ok, the routing kill filters are matched based on the RECEIVED (from)
lines, which are basically a log of the hops the message took in
getting to you.

Because the spammer may have changed their FROM address, SUBJECT,
REPLY-TO, and TO info for each message they send, you can't
filter on that. This is where routing kill filters can come in handy.

Let's say you find out a bunch of your spam seems to pass through a
particular server which allows relaying (a spammers best friend), you
can kill messages based on that server appearing in the hop log
(RECEIVED (from)).

For example, take a look at the below headers from a message I had
sent to TBUDL a little while back.

[165.76.26.186]) by msa.att.ne.jp (8.8.8+Spin/3.6W-CONS(11/04/99)) id XAA19318; Sat, 5
Feb 2000 23:05:13 +0900 (JST)

Any text contained in the RECEIVED header can be used for the routing
kill filter, but you'll generally want to kill based on a server:

thebat.dutaint.com
ns2.dutaint.com
mail.ave.com
msa.att.ne.jp
20.gate5.mis.att.ne.jp
etc...

Ok, this should clear that issue up. I'll probably write a little
better explanation and stick it in the FAQ later.

Leif Gregory

--
TBUDL/TBBETA List Moderator
ICQ 216395 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

PGP Key ID:
  0x8604279A (DH/DSS)
Fingerprint:
  9E16 4316 FA42 5DC6 EB1D  D0ED D37A 858A 8604 279A

Using The Bat! 1.41 Beta/3 under Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
on a Pentium III 500 MHz notebook with 128MB.

Tagline of the day:
until you hear them speak.