On Friday, March 03, 2000, Todd Louis Green wrote:

> I just downloaded The Bat and have been playing with it for about two
> hours. I think it's an amazing program as it has a wide variety of
> capabilities not found with my current client (Forte Agent).

You've only just begun to discover what TB can do.

> However, for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to keep
> various settings from going back to their defaults seemingly at
> random.

You've wandered into a murky world here, which will hopefully improve in
the not-too-distant future.

To set the default for an account, highlight the InBox, then check the
"Use the account default column settings" in the properties. Set the
columns as you want them for your default, preferably by right-clicking
anywhere on the column headings if you want to remove or add columns. If
you want your default to have a setting for viewing threads, make your
choice for the InBox, even if you don't want it for the InBox, and do it
before you set your columns. With me so far?

Now, you can uncheck the "Use the account default" for your InBox if you
want your InBox set up differently, but the default will remain as you
set it up and will be used for any folder that you create where you
check the "Use the account default". However, here are the tricky parts.

If you change the settings for any folder that has "Use the account
default" checked, this not only changes the setting in all folders using
the default, but these settings become the default. Also, if you have
included a view thread setting, then change that setting, for example,
from "by reference" to "by subject", the column settings change. The
column settings only stick for the setting for viewing threads that you
selected initially.

HTH. If not, write back.

--
Paula Ford