Hi Steve,

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 10:48:46 -0700, you wrote:

SL>     The addition of hhmmss reduces the chance of duplication greatly.  Also,
SL> the 2nd half of the string I'm not sure is entirely random, either.  I'm sure
SL> there are elements of randomness in there, but I'm also sure the basis is on
SL> something unique.

SL>     With that said, I believe it would behoove RITLABS to create a new
SL> algorithm for their MSGIDs to ensure uniqueness as required by RFC822.
SL> Granted the chances are slim as TB! is "small" but it is better to address it
SL> now than in the future when it can become a problem.

The String before the "@" must only be unique for mails send from your
PC, because the part after the "@" is only used by your PC. This part
must be a valid Domain you own.

The Bat use the Domain Part of the account Email address, that is in
most cases wrong, because normally the user don't own the Domain of
the email address.

IMHO the only options to make an valid RFC MSID is to make the Part
after the "@" user configurable (for people they have his own Domain)
or make an option to _not_ generate an MSID, so the Mailserver can
make this.

cu,
 Dirk

--
Using The Bat! 1.42 Beta/11 (S/N 12A1F196 / Educational) under Windows 95 4.0 Build
1111  B