On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:32:11 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>     No, it is not.  The one constant of the software world is that
> specialized programs will always function better in their assigned roll
> than the same component of a generalized program.  Too many programmers
> forget that and as a result we get bloated mediocre problems which are
> best described as useless.

        This ideal setup that you're speaking of imposes an increased
degree of complexity to the user. He buys an e-mail application and now
has to worry about getting an editor and now has to worry about getting a
image viewer and now has to worry about installing a browser and now has
to ..... etc. etc. Very often, he wishes to write simple notes, yet he has
to learn vim to do this or something like vim. He may wish to only view
images in his mail and yet he has to get ACDSee or something of the sort
etc. etc. Although, I, as an above average user, personally would prefer
such a setup  and I indeed try to emulate such a setup in windows
(extremely difficult or rather impossible without a lot of redundancy),
this is only after accruing a considerable amounty of experience with
applications etc. The average user out there responds a lot better and
gets going a lot easier with monolithic apps.

        You run Linux mainly. This is obviously the OS for you. It
operates and does things in a way that you prefer. Then use it. Windows
offers an approach that's more average user friendly. This very last point
we've been through, in that you feel that the monlithic application
approach makes things harder for the average user. This I agree with,
especially if the user is willing to appreciate long term, rather than
short term benefits. It's natural however, for individuals to gravitate
towards solutions with more immediate rewards. Anyway, the essence of what
I'm saying is that, both platforms and ideals exist for a reason. Choice.

--
© Allie
---