Hi Tracer,

On Thursday, April 27, 2000, 8:00:07 PM, you wrote in part about "OT: Modifications to
English;-)":

t> First thing to do is in the bios switch off com2, and set internal
t> modem to com 2. secondly make sure  you know what chipset but
t> likely a good bet is to make it start with a Rockwell... on com 2
t> or whatever you specify in your version of Linux. Normally I always
t> used Rockwell chipsets based modems as they are the easiest ones to
t> get installed. Same as sound, give me a soundblaster, and video, an
t> S3 or Nvidia will do in experimental setups... Normally it works
t> first time

Sorry, for not responding yesterday, but was out shopping for puter
stuff.  I picked up a new hard drive - 20 Gb for $150, wow prices have
really dropped.  I also picked up Mandrake Deluxe.  Once I transfer my
HD from the old to new, I will install Mandrake.  I have a potential
problem in that I only have version 4 of Power Quest Drive Copy, and I
want to expand the partitions on the fly that I have (C, D, E, F) as
it mirrors to the new drive.  However, I do not know if it will work
with the NEW NTFS in W2K.  I do not believe that Drive Copy can do
this, at least not this version, for W2K NTFS.  I also checked out the
current version while I was at the store, for Ghost, and it said
nothing about W2K yet, or that NTFS file system.  I may be screwed
here until another upgrade comes out for expanding NTFS while
mirroring to the new HD.  Expanding is much better than going back
and adding space to each partition, IMHO.

In the meantime, I have tried also fooling around with the BIOS and
killing COM2, and talking off the PNP on the Modem, but it did not
help.  I think I will just have to get an external modem in order for
it to work in Linux. I have tried everything I know, thanks to your
tips, but to no avail. I even put in the old internal Rockwell modem,
but that would not work.  The last resort is tech support at SuSE, as
I have sent my Linux files to them to review. If they can't come up
with anything, I will just get an external modem, and put it in COM2.

It was a long day yesterday, as the second HD did not just "drop in."
I had to remove the memory and the processor as this was the only way
the second HD would slide in from the back, not enough room otherwise.
In order to remove the processor, I had to remove a second fan that
was there, glued to the side of the case.  Things are very cluttered
in there. Then when I went to fire it up, my second CD (a burner)
would not register with W2K.  I had to tear it apart again, as the
ribbon cable apparently came somewhat loose during the install of the
second HD. This second IDE ribbon looked absolutely fine, and just
looking at it, you could not tell that it was loose, but as soon as I
pressed it in just a little harder, fired it up again, it was fine.
What a mess.

 Gary

Today's thought: Trust in God, but lock your car."

PGP Public Key: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=SendPGPKey