Hola Woofie & other fellow The Bat User Discussion List members,

Friday, May 05, 2000, 7:49:23 AM, you wrote regarding the ILOVEYOU
virus that I received and deleted without double clicking on it,
after HTML Autoview opened it (maybe it wasn't the attachment)
first.

DH>> I made Kill Filters ... on the string <ILOVEYOU> .. in the
DH>> subject [and] turned off "HTML Autoview". [Is that] an adequate
DH>> solution?

W> No...there are now 3 versions (at last count) of the letters with
W> the attachment and in each case the subject and message has
W> changed and the name of the VBS file has been changed.

W> You  are  better  off  keeping  your antivirus sw up to date and never
W> opening  suspicious  files...especially  ones with the .VBS extension.
W> Unless  you  are  in the programming field, it is most unlikely anyone
W> would send you a .VBS file unless it was malicious code.

As I matter of fact, I show NO *.vbs file on c:\. BUT - I just found
LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs in my TB attach directory on D:\ and
deleted it twice. That leaves 6 .vbs files in E:\ (the same 3 in two
places, all Digital.vbs, except that the other two are numbered
(i.e. Digital2.vbs). These look like they're part of OS/2. They're
all 0kb and from '95 and '96.

However, some strange things are happening when I download mail. I
am getting asked for my password repeatedly, and I am getting "Bad
Login" and "Connection to host broken" messages. But maybe the
problem is on the server - or with the phone line.

I'll soon know. The not so good (I'm told) anti-virus installed
shows nothing on any of the 10 partitions, but I forgot to set it
for all files. Maybe I should install the better one already.

Douglas