Hello Susanne,

> I can change it in the message viewer, but can't find where to change the
> background of the various parts of the window otherwise (if possible).

Go to  Options | Preferences - Message List - Color Groups and edit the Generic
Group changing its background color for normal state.

It's very strange you have that freezing for non-classic themes. What is your
hardware (CPU and RAM)? Do you use 64-bit or 32-bit version of The Bat! ?

Stefan Tanurkov