Hi Fred,

> Yes I know there are other email clients that can do that. I used
> to work with one: Agent.

You mean Agent can keep replies with the original messages in a
folder automatically? That's news for me! I think Agent doesn't even
have filters for outgoing mail. I checked just now and can't find
where to set this up. Could you tell me?

> But if The Bat! can find a reply why not automatically move it to
> the original folder? It could be an option in a future release!

Not exactly. Currently TB search a reply in the Sent (and Outbox?)
folder according to message id. If it's not found there, it prompts
you search the entire message base, which might take much more time.

It's not to say what you want isn't possible. As Mark pointed out,
however, it won't be easy to implement. It's in essence a filter,
but how it should be ranked among other filters is problematic.

The only email program I remember doing this is Becky and Eudora.
Becky's filtering function is folder-centric (well, plus "color
centric", which is added as an aftermath, I'm afraid), meaning you
establish a folder, and tell Becky what kind of mail should be put
into that folder. IOW, it makes each filter a "property" of a
folder. With this approach, it's easier to implement the feature you
ask for (keeping replies in the same folder with the original
messages), for it's basically just an additional condition
(property) for the filter (folder). This approach makes filters easy
to setup, but also makes Becky's filtering capability limited. I've
heard plenty of complaints on Becky's mailing list when I was trying
it out, and its author admitted major overhaul to the filter
structure is needed, though not in v2 (which is in beta).

Eudora has an option to *copy* a reply to the original folder. Since
it's a copy (not move), it's easier to avoid the filter execution
order problem. IOW, the extra copy won't be filtered in any way, but
go directly to the original folder. If RIT decides to implement what
you want in TB, this is probably the only way I can imagine. But
then, you have two copies of every reply, and I'm not sure many
users would want this (given that it's already easy to find one's
replies in TB).

Ming-Li

Using The Bat! 1.45 S/MIME under Win2k