On August 7, 2000, at 10:27:38 AM, Mark Aston Wrote:

> Actually it's the S/MIME that makes the message 6K or thereabouts, the
> PGP doesn't make much difference.
>
> Whilst it was a new feature and being tested on TBBETA it was OK, now
> I find the attachments quite irritating for use on a mailing list.

Mark, I'm curious why they irritate you? Is it the fact they show up in
the attachment bar, even though technically they are not treated as an
attachment by TB!? What if a small innocuous icon was to be put inside
the Message Header Bar/Preview Pane Splitter Bar, and not take up so
much horizontal space in the preview pane? I suppose I'm just trying to
determine if you are against digital signatures for some reason, or the
way TB! presents them, because this is an important issue for both User
and Developer. I notice you use a personal signature, so why not a
digital signature?

Although digital signatures may seem irritating to some, I nonetheless
feel we should all get into the habit of signing our messages, both
personal and public, using S/MIME, PGP, GnuPG, or any other method that
would ensure authenticity. It should be a habit borne out of one's
security consciousness. Some argue digital signatures don't belong in
Public Mailing Lists, yet I would argue otherwise.

TB!'s developers did not include the recent S/MIME feature simply to try
it out in TBBETA and to annoy Users thereafter, but rather as a feature
of the Mail Client to be used on a day to day basis by it's Users.

--
Nick Andriash  [ TB! v1.46 Beta 3 | PGP 6.5.3 | Win 98 4.10 ]
Vancouver, B.C.  Canada   |   PGP Key ID:  0x7BA3FDCE