Hi Jason,

On 18 August 2000 at 09:46:04 GMT -0400 (which was 14:46 where I
live) [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote and made these points on the subject
of "Internal Mail for Office":

J>   Is this possible?

It seems so.

J> I would like to use the bat for an internal mail system, on a
J> Novell Netware server. I would like the entire office to be able to
J> use one installed copy of the bat with their own mail being stored
J> in private directories.

This should work.

J> (a fleeting thought!, how will this work with local delivery? If
J> the bat cannot get to the other directories?)

By using the POP/SMTP server theorised below.

J> From what I have read, there needs to be one copy of the bat setup
J> as the server, so this means it needs to be running all the time.
J> There is no place to do this.

There  has  to  a  server  in  this scenario /somewhere/ - if not a TB
server  then  a standard SMTP/POP or IMAP server (bearing in mind that
IMAP doesn't /quite/ work as it should for optimum performance).

J> The G:\ drive is common for everyone, the executable could go
J> there. The U:\ drive is a mapped drive letter to a personal
J> directory, this is where the mail directory should be. U:\ maps to
J> the login name so U:\ is the same no matter which PC you log in fr
J> name so U:\ is the same no matter which PC you log in from.

Nothing  wrong with this *except* that the TB settings are held in the
registry and you would need a different Windows logon for each user to
ensure  a  keep  personalisation  for each specific user. Using the U:
mapping  for  the base mail folder will make sure that the mail itself
follows each user to their seat.

J> The only thing I can think of is to install a POP/SMTP server on
J> the Netware server. Am I right?

Yes. I don't know what is available for this. There are plenty for NT.
Netware is not my zone.

J> Also, How would I lock down the settings on the installed copy of
J> TheBat! at each workstation so I can guarantee that the interface
J> will be the same no matter where you sit.

No  can  do  because of the registry thing. You can put each copy into
"administrated" mode using the Ctrl+Alt+Shift+/ keystroke.

J> Any guidance would be appreciated, Also, one more factor: The
J> supervisor (using the bat) needs to be able to get mail from the
J> outside world and forward it to the inside world. :)

That could probably done with a (fairly) complex filter set.

- --
Cheers,
.\\arck

Marck D. Pearlstone, Consultant Software Engineer
Moderator TBUDL / TBBETA
www: http://www.silverstones.com
PGP key: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Body=GET%20MARCKKEY>