Hello, fellow Bat-lovers.

I know there are other Pobox users on this list, and I'm curious to
know whether anyone has expanded on the methods described by Allie and
others, to incorporate sub-filtering of messages already prefiltered by
Pobox.

For those who haven't seen the way Pobox handles this, they run a
message through their filters, and if it's identified as potential
spam, a string such as "[spam score 10.00/10.0-pobox]" or "[spam score
3.04/10.0-pobox]" is prepended to the subject.

Up until now, I have not used these spam "ratings", other than as a
quick clue before I look at the message more closely--largely because
I have gotten a lot of false positives attached to messages I wouldn't
want to lose. However, I would like to begin using this information
more effectively.

In just checking the Pobox Web page, I discovered that they have now
fine tuned the spam settings at the server level, so that I can choose
a threshold above which messages will be flagged, and another above
which messages will be deleted from the server. That way, I might only
see messages flagged if the rating is above 5, and never see those
rated above 9. (When they first started this service, it was
essentially limited to "filter" or "don't filter".)

Alternatively, I could choose a wider range and further filter them
with TB into various mailboxes. The extreme, of course, would be to
filter all 1's into one mailbox, 2's into another, and so on through
10, but that would clearly be overkill--and plain ridiculous. Another
way would be to send 10.00's only to a "Spam" folder (or delete them),
and send all others to a "Potential Spam" folder.

I haven't completely thought this through, and it will take some
experimentation and fine tuning to get it working the way I want it,
so I've simply been brainstorming with some of the above thoughts. I
hope my ramblings have made some sense.

Has anyone tried anything like this? What have been your experiences?
Suggestions?

And for you regular expression gurus out there, what could I use to
select, for example, all messages with ratings between 5.01 and 9.99,
for example?

TIA

--
 Keith Russell     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
...I tried to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.