On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:35:49 -0400, Arnie wrote:

A> A little while ago I posted a question regarding extracting text from
A> from a received message to be put into a reply. It seems that Regular
A> Expressions are the way to go. Can anybody recommend a good book or
A> site that goes into RE's in detail? The howto was helpful but I think
A> I need examples to fully grasp the concepts.

I've been interested in learning regular expressions myself for some
time and have battled with some applications help files, including TB!.
All of them have one thing on common in that they all give a cursory
overview and a *very* basic introduction which isn't particularly
meaningful. I have a great book in my possession at present. The
challenge for me is to find the time to read and *assimilate* it. :-) I
read a couple chapters a few months back and they were totally clear. I
highly recommend the book. It's called 'Mastering Regular Expressions',
published by O'Reilly. I got mine off Amazon. :-) Good luck in your
pursuits.

PS// Using regular expressions is like speaking a language. You won't
get good at it unless you really use them. If you need to create only
one then it may be better to ask one of our kind gurus on the list.
OTOH, most RE experts claim that you'll find uses for RE's that you
never imagined would be relevant to your situation and work, once you
learn how to use them.

--
A. Curtis Martin..
Moderator TBUDL/TBBETA  |  PGP Key ID: 0xEE079937