Hello Reed,

On  Saturday, September 23, 2000  at  12:56:17 GMT -0700 (which was 12:56 PM
where I live) witnesses say Reed Byers typed:

> 2) When I select an unread message (and it shows up in the preview
> pane), within a few seconds it gets marked as READ.  Now, I don't EVER
> want a message marked READ unless I open it, or mark it myself.  After
> some investigating, I've found the setting under my account's
> Properties that says "Time of reading to mark a message as read", and
> sure enough, a big enough number here does the trick.  But now, it
> won't even mark a message READ when I open the message!  Do I have to
> create a filter to do what I want here?

Viewing a message through the preview pane is the same as opening it
up.  So when you set the reading delay in the account properties, you
changed the behaviour of both.  If you find that you aren't using the
preview pane, you can turn it off (View->Message Auto-view) and set
the reading delay to something shorter.

Hope this helps.

--
Thanks for writing,