On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 06:52:01 -0700, Nick Andriash wrote:

>> a) If I am sending mail to a recipient not in my address book, the
>> default templates will be used.

NA> But that behaviour is not dependant on having AB templates defined.

No, it's not.

>> b) If I am sending mail to a recipient that's in my address book, then
>> address book templates will be used.

NA> That is where my install differs from yours. My AB templates were
NA> never used.

Have you yet redefined your folder templates?  If so, then this is very
strange.

NA> The only basic difference between my account and AB templates, were
NA> the different signatures I wanted to use for different addresses,

Same here for me.

NA> but they were never included despite having them defined in the AB
NA> templates... the generic signature defined in the account templates
NA> was always used for some reason. :o(

I strongly suspect that you're missing something.

>> Pity that you hadn't done what I had done, which was to leave the
>> default templates in the account properties alone, and then delete the
>> folder templates. If you had done that, you would have noted that all
>> the folders would get the default templates reassigned to them
>> automagically.

NA> But I *did* do that initially,

I thought you said that you deleted your account templates from the
account properties.

NA> In any event, there is just too many template entries when
NA> attempting to use Address Book templates... far too much redundancy.

I just ignore my folder templates. I haven't looked at one in ages.
They're all identical anyway.

NA> I have spent the time to get my templates back to the folder level,
NA> where everything is working fine now... just like they used to. I
NA> think I have the best of both worlds with my current set up. :o)

Pity you didn't get things to work, I'm almost certain that you'd have
preferred it that way. :-)

NA> I was attempting to change everything over to Address Book
NA> templates, because you and Marck thought highly of them, and I
NA> wanted to see the benefit of having them. For me unfortunately, they
NA> really only complicated matters more. :o(

Let me give you the advantages I enjoy.

a) I filter all TBBETA and TBUDL messages to a single folder and read
from there. It's a lot easier to read from one instead of two folders.
When I hit reply to a TBBETA message, the TBBETA reply template is used.
When I hit reply to a TBUDL message, the TBUDL reply template is used.
If I didn't have  address book templates defined, I couldn't do this.

Even better
b) I filter all private e-mail to the Inbox. I get about 20-30 of these
per day, so instead of managing these messages from multiple folders, I
filter them to a single folder. I then use automatic reply filters to
move the messages to their respective folders when I reply to them. Each
message reply gets it's own address book defined template. If I were
using folder templates, I'd have to filter the messages to folders where
these special templates are defined. I'd be flitting from folder to
folder just to read 10 private mail messages.

Marck uses the ticker virtual folder to read his messages from
*everywhere*. Address book templates are indispensable here since he's
managing his messages from a single folder.

- --
A. Curtis Martin..
Moderator TBUDL/TBBETA  |  PGP Key ID: 0xEE079937
PGP Key: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendAlliePGPKey
- ---
** "Instant gratification takes too long. - Carrie Fisher "
Using TB! v1.47 Beta/7 «» Win2k Pro SP1