A . Curtis Martin wrote:

> (This is just me and not moderator speaking. Furthermore, there
> isn't a specific charter rule regarding this).

> Upon thinking about it, I don't see why I should, if I place it in the
> introduction. I personally dislike long subjects and have always
> questioned the necessity of including the old message subject when the
> subject really needed to and has been changed. I specifically use a
> regex to weed out the extra Re:'s and Fwd:'s from message subjects. The
> (was <old subject>) falls under the same hat for me as "Re: Fwd: Re:
> <message subject>", i.e., unnecessary additions.

Yes, that's what I do too when answering to a message with a subject
containing "(was: ...)". *After* the change of subject, this isn't
useful anymore. But when I change the subject myself, I always include
the old one.

> I see that you've now removed the (was <old subject>) part of the
> subject. Why? Isn't it still relevant? :-) Or is it only necessary for
> the initial message that changes the subject? IOW's I personally
> question its relevance at all.

Well, in German Usenet it's common to include "(was: ...)" when
changing the subject. In follow-ups, this may then be removed. I think
this "rule" can be applied to most mailing lists as well, including
TBUDL.

[...]

CG>> BTW, AFAIK "was" should be followed by ": ". That also allows it
CG>> to be deleted by a regexp. :)

> This may lead to unwanted deletions in legitimate subjects with the
> string 'was:'. I agree that the semicolon makes it less likely but ...

It *is* indeed quite unlikely. :)

--
Christian Gassmann

The Bat! 1.47 Halloween Edition under Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6, RC 1.5