On Sunday, February 18, 2001, 6:52:32 PM, Thomas wrote:

vwn>> yesterday i received mess. as usual,today i wanted to get my
vwn>> mail and this happened:i got the normal "retrieving message
vwn>> headers" box,then it took about 30 min. to get 450 mess. ,
vwn>> these mess. were all old, from 12-2 to 17-2,no new messages.

This usually happens when the previous connection was terminated
prematurely.

vwn>> I then selected "delete mess. on server",i then sent myself a
vwn>> mail,and hit f2 again;all 450 mess.got in again + my email
vwn>> mess.. I did see:"deleting mess. on server"appear.

So TB did send the "delete" command to the server. Did the session
terminate normally (without error message)? You may check the
account log to find this out.

vwn>> i did this about 3 times , only after the 3rd time i only got
vwn>> new mess.(but no tbudl)

Please check the account log to see what TB says about this last
download: is it something like (assuming you got 1 new message)

FETCH - 450 messages in the mailbox, 1 new",

or

1 messages in the mailbox, 1 new

The former indicates there are old messages on the server. Also,
when TB is set to delete collected msgs immediately, it records how
many msgs are deleted in the log. There's no such information if TB
is set to leave mail on server for certain days. You can only tell
TB has deleted msgs (that are over certain days old) on server when
the number of msgs "in the mailbox" (as recorded in the log)
decreases the next session.

vwn>> I then went to another win 2000 system on another partition,
vwn>> installed a new bat,I then selected "delete mess. on server"
vwn>> got my mail,surprise :400 mess, all old except 3 from today
vwn>> (but no tbudl) . then i hit f2 again for the second time,again
vwn>> the same 400 mess. i just can't figure this out .

Do you mean 400 literally -- meaning you got about 50 less old msgs
than the on the other machine?

You'll have to check to see if TB indeed deleted old msgs from
another system (see above). If the deletion was unsuccessful or only
partially successful, this isn't strange.

My best guesses are:

1. your connection with the server was bad and TB had trouble
finishing a given task (retrieving and/or deleting msgs) in a
session. You should see some error msgs in the log if this is the
case.

or

2. Your server somehow has trouble deleting msgs. To verify this,
you may try the mail dispatcher and see if you can delete messages
from there. Or you may try if you can delete messages with another
email client.

Ming-Li

The Bat! 1.49e | Win2k SP1