On 12-04-2001 at 21:55, Dwight A Corrin kindly wrote:
> Thursday, April 12, 2001, 11:50:11 AM, Ming-Li wrote:

>> I even did a little house
>> cleaning job that I usually do in the weekend: killing dupes in all
>> folders, purging and compressing all folders.

> Showing my ignorance, I would like to ask: What is purging?  It sounds
> destructive and I have been loathe to test to find out.

When you delete a message from a folder, it is not really
removed: it is only taken out of the folder's index file
(*.tbi). When you purge, it is really deleted. But you also
need to compress from time and time: remove old entries
(messages) from the messge database (*.tbb).

It will reduce the size of your folders and increse
operations somewhat. Especially the outbox, inbox and thrash
folders will open much quicker after a purge & compress.

- K -

--

"You've got a gift."
"It's not a gift. It's just a brain."