Hello TBUDL,

>Tmtdc> This is not a good way to do things, especially not with other
>TB
Tmtdc> users. TB is a "threading" email client and by making a reply in that
Tmtdc> manner, you break the threading.

a>> Is it necessary or polite to place these << quoted text >> marks to
a>> indicate quoted text?

Tmtdc> That is also bad practice for TB use. Common practice is to use '>'
Tmtdc> signs at the beginning of quoted text.

   Did I do that correctly this time?

Tmtdc>  In TB, quoted text shows as a Tmtdc> different colour, but
*not* when you use a non-standard quoting Tmtdc> method. TB offers
multiple quote prefix methods (see Account .. Tmtdc> properties ..
Templates .. Reply) and, for this list in particular, I Tmtdc> prefer
to use "Initials" because, when many people are involved in a Tmtdc>
conversation, it is easier to distinguish who said what a few replies
Tmtdc> into it.

     I haven't been able to understand a thing about the templates.
     The coding symbols %******% are meaningless to me at this point.

Tmtdc>  I  use  Auto-wrap  with  a  line length of 70. That's the main
setting.  I  Tmtdc> also use Ctrl+Shift+F to toggle on/off auto-format
in  real  time  Tmtdc>  because  sometimes  it's  a  "good  thing" and
sometimes it's just "in the Tmtdc> way".

 Under  Utilities  I've  set  Auto-Format,  Auto-Wrap  and  Justify in
 autowrap. I don't see a place to set line length.

        Marck,  if  I  merely  hit  reply does auto-threading mean the
        software figures out much of the layout?

        I  get TBUDL in digest form so I need to know how to say reply
        to  you and your remarks as distinguished from the rest of the
        digest.

         I've  noticed  several  ISP's  use screen shots to walk users
         through  setting  up Outlook Express. It's a good method. For
         example  if  John Doe wished to set up a template for task A.
         it  would  show %J. Doe% or whatever was appropriate. The Faq
         has some examples like that I believe but I would love to see
         more.

         For  a  novice  like myself to figure out power-software like
         The Bat, Opera and Powermarks was daunting to say the least.I
         personally believe that intuitive software has an edge in the
         marketplace   simply   because   the   average   user   wants
         plug-n-play.  OE  is  a  terribly risky thing to use but it's
         pretty easy to set up and use.

            ./michael

                 "Example is the school of mankind, and they will learn at no other. "
 :  Edmund Burke

 azrael                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]