Subject: SECURITY.NNOV: The Bat! <cr> bug
 Author: 3APA3A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Dated: Wednesday, April 18, 2001
  Files: badmess.zip

There  is more fun then security impact in this issue, but it's a kind
of DoS and can give a lot of headache to postmasters.

=-------8<----------------------------------

SECURITY.NNOV URL:     http://www.security.nnov.ru
Topic:                  The Bat! <cr> bug
Application:            The Bat! 1.51 (latest)
Vendor:                 RitLabs
Category:               Denial of Service
Risk Factor:            Low
Remote:                 Yes
Vendor Contacted:       13.04.2001
Software URL:          http://www.thebat.net
Vendor URL:            http://www.ritlabs.com

+Introduction:

 The  Bat!  Is  very  convenient commercially available MUA for Windows
 with lot of features.

+Details:

 While  RETRiving  message  via  POP3  (IMAP  isn't  tested)  The Bat!
 incorrectly  processes  0x0D  (CR)  character if it's not followed by
 0x0A (LF). The Bat! incorrectly calculates end of the message and the
 part  of message is treated as reply from POP3 server. The Bat! fails
 to  receive  the  rest  of  the messages and fails to delete received
 messages  from server. This leads to DoS against user's POP3 account.
 Malformed message can emulate any POP3 server replies.

+Exploitation:

 Extract attached "badmessage" and send it, e.g. using

   cat badmessage | sendmail -U [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 or copy it to user's mailbox.
 This message causes The Bat! to show something like:

   !13.04.2001, 17:51:01: FETCH - Server reports error. The response is: --ERR Wrong
User: replace user with your system administrator--

 message is crafted to do not contain this text somewhere in the body.

+Workaround:

 use  "Dispatch  Mail  on  Server" feature to delete malformed message
 from server or use different MUA.

+Solution:

 No yet.

+Vendor:

 RitLabs  was  contacted  on April, 13 (happy Easter to you, guys). No
 feedback yet.

This  advisory  is being provided to you under RFPolicy v.2 documented
at http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/policy.html.

- --
http://www.security.nnov.ru
         /\_/\
                    |/
You know my name - look up my number (The Beatles)