Hi Dierk,

On 02 May 2001 at  08:56:07 +0200 (which was 07:56 where I  live)
Dierk Haasis wrote to Andrey G. Sergeev (AKA Andris) and made these
points:

>> Wonderful! :-E. Have you ever heard of the program called Registry
>> Editor (regedit.exe - for Win 9x/ME, regedit.exe/regedt32.exe for the
>> Win NT4/2K)?

DH> Most users don't touch it, and for good reasons. I concur with Ben
DH> here, it would be a good idea to just put a registry hack (nothing
DH> else but a small registry with the lines needed) on their web site.

... and I don't. Since those fields are published as customizable, any
"patch" to the registry entries would destroy all customization. That
is unacceptable.

<moderator>
Also unacceptable is the length of this thread which hasn't come up
with anything useful IMO. Okay, so a worm has been constructed which
can attack the TB Address Book. Also, the registry has to *already
have been hacked*, because by default, TB doesn't allow .pif files to
be run since v1.47 *and* it has a warning about double extensions on
attachments.

Unlike all other real "worms", to work this worm has to rely on the
user to run it. It was also targeted at Russian users, yet we see the
most concern and hysteria about it from the English speaking users.

Here's the opinion reached elsewhere about this so-called "worm":

> ... And if you hack the reg, then double-click on an unwanted
> attachment *and* ignore the double-ext warning, you deserve to be
> hit by a virus.

> The whole worm doesn't make sense; there is no way anybody can be
> harmed by this worm accidentally. We came to the conclusion that
> this piece of code must have been written by Kasparsky themselves,
> for marketing purposes for their AV software.

This thread is going nowhere fast, it's light on fact and heavy on
hysteria and clogging up the works IMO.

Please take it off list.
</moderator>

- --
Cheers -- .\\arck D. Pearlstone -- Moderator TBUDL / TBBETA / TBTECH
[ PGP Key ID: 0x929DCDA0 | www: http://www.silverstones.com      ]
[    Any opinions are my own and not those of RIT labs           ]

TB! v1.52 Beta/12/iKey1000 S/N 14F4B4B2 on Windows NT 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 1