Hello Bernhard & others on this TB! list & following this thread,

First of all, rather than draw all readers into a SOT discussion of
the actual (rather than dictionary) common meanings for words in
languages not in English (the official language of this list -
TBUDL), I'll mention that in the past TB! has been compared to
Pegasus (for example) in a VERY thorough & intricate way here on
TBUDL. However - the principle (Alex Kiselev) contributor no longer
participates and IAC, I suspect that now that the original TBUDL was
spit in two, perhaps the most appropriate forum for the query would
be TBTECH - so I'll repost it there. What follows is purely
linguistic and describes the use of the word "poco" in Mexico, where
I've lived since 1974.

Friday, June 29, 2001,  you stated regarding: Poco means "Not Much":

DH>> poco means not much in Spanish & my general feeling is that
DH>> it's not much of a competitor compared to TB! What I'm looking
DH>> for is confirmation of this from someone who has looked at it
DH>> recently, since I don't plan on doing so myself.

BK> poco
BK> 1 (adj;pron) (sg;gen) little;
BK>   (pequeño) small;
BK>   (escaso) slight, scanty;

BK> I'm sorry, but "not much" is a very derogatory translation; "small"
BK> will describe the program more precise.

That's  the  trouble with dictionary translations (I write this from
Mexico).  The  Spanish words commonly used for SMALL are (pequeño(a)
or chico(a). Here, the common use of poco is "little" ("quiero poco"
means  I  don't  want  much,  just a little (for example), and "poca
cosa" is indeed a commonly used derogatory term that means the thing
referred to is of slight importance. Perhaps I'm a TB! loyalist but
as mentioned, "Poco" was compared to TB! earlier on either TBUDL or
the Opera-Users list and was considered superficial at that time by
the writer (a fellow TB! user).

BK> Maybe it's not a real competitor to TB! ( and I'm using TB! for
BK> myself) but there is at least a very nice macro language in Poco I'd
BK> like to have in TB!

BK> And as to the confirmation: a man has to do his experiences for
BK> himself ...

Thanks for the advice. However (as stated), I have no intention of
doing so and that is precisely why I posted the request for
information. I'll try TBTECH, next.

Douglas