Saturday, July 21, 2001, 6:48:36 PM, Devid wrote:

DV> Hello TBUDL,

DV> TGM>> Alt up arrow works fine for me.

It works, but in a mail app, I'd sure like a single key rather than a
combo for scrolling around in a message.  E-mail is not just short,
terse messaging anymore, if it ever was.  Often messages are long and
complex, and require more than one scan.  I'd leave the combos for
lesser-used apps and lesser-used functions.

>> It does work fine, however, I think a lot of TB! users are on
>> MS systems, which mean that navigation controls similar to
>> MSIE might be considered a good thing by many.

DV> So, because we (are forced to) use an MS OS, we use MSIE _and_
DV> we like the MSIE controls?? Strange assumption...

I'll ignore the sarcasm and just say that I think most people would
prefer to use a single key to navigate backwards in the message pane.
Mail is often read . . . and re-read.  It is not an uncommon thing at
all.  But yes, most people like the fact that they can scroll
backward or forward on a Web page using the arrow keys, as well as
the space bar for moving down.  I guess Agent is my model for a well
designed navigation scheme, which MS just emulated for MSIE, I
suspect.  (^_-)  I think the less-used functions (like moving back in
a list, compared to moving back in a message) should require the
extra keystrokes.

>> Doubt if it will happen, but I'd much rather see a single
>> keystroke for navigating back in the display.

DV> Full key mapping by the user could be a solution here (UltraEdit
DV> has it and I like it a lot).

Never heard of it.

>> Spacebar is great for navigating forward, but I'd rather have
>> 'Page Up' work the message display itself rather than the
>> message list. Same with 'Page Down' for that matter.

DV> What key would you use to quickly navigate through the message
DV> list panel if page up/down works directly for the message
DV> display?

It's a personal preference I'm sure, but for me, I'm much more likely
to go back one pane in a message than I am to go more than one pane
or page back in a message list.  So I'd rather have the combo
keystroke for the lesser-used function.  Others are different I'm
sure.  But if I'm going back farther than I can see in the message
list, often I'm searching by keyword, which doesn't need a navigation
stroke.  As I say, Agent is my model.  Others have other preferences,
I'm sure.

--
Best,

Yuki