Hi,

I've  seen  the  same problems sometimes. My tricks to get around this
are:
1.  keep  your  Inbox small, have filters put as much mail as possible
into  specific folders. Try to have one folder per mailinglist etc too
if possible.
2.   Purge  and  compress  all  your folders (especially the Inbox) on
exit.
3.  Don't  store the mail attachements inside the mailbodies this only
makes the messagebases and seeks larger.

The  slowdown on my side is usually only caused when the system has to
seek  around huge Messagebase files. And TheBat seems to put all mails
into  the  "Inbox"  before  they get filtered and move it out of there
again  once  filtered  (that's at least two big seeks if your Inbox is
too big and uncompressed for each mail).

Of  course  I  might be incredibely wrong and I'd be glad to hear some
corrections  from  other people, but watching out for these things has
kept thebat smooth on my system.

Hope those hints help a bit in your case too.
Bye

 ( o>
 ///\
[Sam]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.xplo.org/
"finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]" for the public pgp key
TheBat! 1.53bis on Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998

* Hacker: Any person who derives joy from discovering ways to circumvent limitations. *
---