Hello Jeff,

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 10:05:52 -0700 GMT (02/09/2001, 01:05 +0800 GMT),
Jeff wrote:

J> 1)  The message-editor doesn't work like any other I've used and it's
J> taking some time to get used to it.

True, but once you get used to it, you'll love it.

J> a) For example, is it possible to automatically "reflow" after fixing a
J> line.

You can do it manually by placing the cursor into the paragraph with
the arrow keys and hitting alt-L (for left jsutification), alt-R
(right just) or alt-C (center).

Alternatively, you can TB let it do automatically by using auto-format
and/or auto-wrap under the Utilities menu in the editor.

J> b) The cursor doesn't move back to the left margin when it traverses a
J> blank line, the way it does in most Windows text editors.

This is "free caret interface", meaning that you can position the
cursor anywhere you want and start writing.
              Try to do
                        this
        in Word
                              or Netscape.

BTW, there are indeed Windows editors who use the same. I have been
told that Word 2000 has accepted it, too.

J> A side-effect of this appears to be that the "-- " sig delimeter is
J> shortened to just "--", as trailing blank spaces in lines appear to
J> be truncated.

If you enter the sig delimiter, it will stay correct, unless you do
something else in that very line. Only then will hte trailing space be
deleted.

J> c) The ability to cursor down past the end of a new email is a bit
J> disconcerting, too.

See above, free caret.

J> 2)  I haven't figured out how to scroll through unread messages
J> properly and efficiently.  For example:

I scroll through the individual messages by just hitting the space bar
repeatedly. When all text of one message has been shown, the next
message (read or unread) opens automatically.

J> a) When I first set up The Bat! I used 600 seconds as the time
J> before messages would appear as "read". [...] Is this property
J> applied only when email is received?

AFAIK it is applied when you read new messages.

J> b) Other programs I use (Eudora and Netscape) have a button I can
J> press which will automatically find (in Eudora's case) the next
J> message, or (in Netscape's case) the next unread message.  The Bat!
J> doesn't seem to have either, and I've had to scroll through all the
J> messages by hand.

Use crtl-] to jump to the next unread message. Also take a look at
Options / Preferences / Message List / When moving...

J> c) I haven't found a way to open up threads automaticallly by
J> scrolling through them, and the folder list-window doesn't scroll
J> automatically, so opening up all those "+" signs can take a long time.

You can open all threads by hiting crtl-*.

The folder list and the main message list are independent by design.

J> I like the program, but I find that at the moment, reading list email
J> with The Bat! takes significantly longer per message than reading
J> list-mail with Netscape.

I hope these tips help you read your messages faster. ;-)

J> Are there answers to my questions?  Or do I just join the group
J> writing to the wish-list <smile>?

So far, everything you wish for is already there. <g>

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

That money talks, I'll not deny. I heard it once. It said, "good-bye."

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.54 Beta/7
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
using an Intel Celeron 366Mhz, 128MB RAM