Hello ::Andrew::!

On Tuesday, September 04, 2001 at 10:59:22 AM you wrote:

> You're saying that the only weakness in PGP is the fear of weakness?
> That's the only known way to break it?

OK, that was the very short version. Here comes a slightly more
comprehensive version (please read the intro I gave you the link for):

1. Since all encrypted messages have to be decrypted to be read, every
crypto scheme has weaknesses. With advanced computer power it is
possible to create keys that are virtually unbreakable.

2. For symmetric keys (you and I have the same key) the weaknesses are
relatively high. Some of them can be minimised (by using every time a new
key), but they introduce new trouble.

3. Asymmetric keys have the advantage that two parts are used and they
main weakness is to have both of them together. * I highly recommend
to read Zimmermann's article (the intro to PGP) for details!*

4. With PGP there are actually four levels of security, asymmetric
keys, keys are generated new every time (symmetric), it uses data
compression (ZIP) and a passphrase.

5. The algorithms used by PGP are so good, there has not been found a
logical flaw in them for the last 10 years - and even longer, some of
the algorithms are known since the 60s.

6. How to break PGP? Either by brute force, that is
combine the computation of a lot of computers and let it work on a
key. It can be shown that all the computational power in the world at
the moment will not break a PGP key in all the time left till the end
of our solar system *on average*.

7. The other way is to get hold of the keys (especially the private
one) *and* the passphrase of its owner. that was what I meant by
"violence and stupidity".

8. So your assessment is correct for now: PGP is practically
unbreakable except by planting the seeds of doubt (Hmm, read one Oz
novel too many?).

Please let us stop here before it goes into a heated argument. If you
read Zimmermann's intro, you will get the details. If you are really
interested in the mathematics behind, there are some good books on
cryptology on the market.

- --
Dierk Haasis
http://www.Write4U.de

PGP keys available: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendMyPGPkeys

The Bat 1.54 Beta/7 on Windows 95 4.0 1212 C

Love truly wishes some good to another, and therefore we all desire
it.