On 19 November 2001 at 4:58 pm Rick wrote:

> I'm having trouble searching my LDAP directory here at work on
> Exchange. It doesn't seem to like any wildcards. When searching I can
> put in 'A' for Name and I'll get back all the First names starting
> with A but I'd like to be able to search for all the Names and have
> them in this new address book I made. I was going to suck it up and
> just go through each letter of the alphabet which wouldn't be that big
> of a deal except for the fact that each search erases the previous
> search in my new address book. I tried searching the archives and the
> FAQ but didn't find stuff to really help me (or else I didn't look
> long enough:). The two quesions are:

> 1) Is it a problem on the Exchange server not letting me use wildcards
> to search? I've tried using * and % and no luck with either.

I think this is a server-based thing, or may not be possible at all
with Exchange Server; I tried, using both TB! and Outlook Express, to
search my work-based server with wildcards; nothing happened. However,
I can use partial matches (so "Green" would match everyone from "Aaron
Green" to "Zachary Green" :)

> 2) If I decide to just go through each letter of the alphabet and
> search LDAP in order
> to populate the new address book how do I prevent the previous search
> from being deleted? ( I simply want to keep adding to the book with
> new searches ).

I have this problem as well with LDAP (existing results being wiped
out), and some other peculiarities; when I have more time I'll
investigate further.

Alastair