I ask because I was sent a .EXE file as an attachment which contained
a virus (Hybris/D). This was correctly caught by F-Prot Antivirus;
although I deleted the email straight off it seems that the executable
was, at some point, saved in ...The Bat!\Mail\<account>\Attach as
F-Prot caught it there this afternoon, nearly a day after the first
warning.

Q: is an attachment routinely saved there (irrespective of what
happens to the accompanying email, including immediate manual
deletion) or did I do something to save it (by some action I missed
while recalling the sequence of events)?

If it is routinely saved, that would appear to be a Bad Thing!

Alastair