Hello Lionel,

On Dienstag, 20. November 2001 at 16:32:20 you wrote (at least in part):

LEM> So SSH tunneling _is_ easier if the machine admin is not
LEM> cooperative.

But how would you tunnel a POP3 request through SSH?
SSH opens a remote shell in a secure way. This way you can read your
mail via command line mailreader _on server_ or even with X-forwarding
with a GUI one, but what command you want to use to stream
POP3-Session-Data through this SSH-tunnel? For using the SSH-tunnel
you have to connect to the local side of SSH connection. Now issue a
POP3-Login 'user xyz\npass noway\n' ... what should the SSH-server
(daemon) do with this commands? How shall SSHD know you want to
connect to WHAT server on e.g. port 110? I don't know how this can be
done, I may stand corrected by a SSH freak, but in my daily use of SSH
I haven't found any other practical aspect than (secure) remote login
and (secure) remote command execution (with X-forwarding even more
practical, as I use an X-server for windows and therefore be able to
use 'real' xterm windows :-) ).
--
Regards
Peter Palmreuther                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Every program is a part of some other program, and rarely fits.