Hello Joe,

23 Dec 2001, 16:22:11, you wrote:

>> I get the same problem frequently. As far as I can tell, it only
>> happens when the sender is using Outlook Express, but it doesn't
>> happen with every person using OE, nor does it always happen even with
>> every e-mail from the same person.

> I've only seen it on this particular mail list (i.e., the WSJ).

I don't see it in mail that comes direct to me - only on mail lists
(usually Yahoo groups, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it on one other
list that uses Listserv).

>> Also, people using other mail
>> programs do not see the the strange characters, so it seems to be
>> something TB! is doing (or not doing) that causes them, but what that
>> could be, I have no idea.
> [...]

> Shauna, at least it isn't just *me* again.  :)

> I find these two lines in the message header:

> 1. Content-type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

> 2. X-UIDL: /0Z!!;I*#!9o^!!*eP"!

> Maybe there's a clue there somewhere?

Maybe, but I've compared headers on e-mails that have the weird
characters with those that don't and I can't spot any consistent
differences. For example, I have two messages from the same person,
created 20 minutes apart on Outlook Express 6.0 and sent to a Yahoo
group - the first has the weird characters, the second (much longer)
one is fine. The headers from the one *with* the weird characters
show:

The headers from the one *without* the weird characters show:

 Shauna                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Using The Bat! version 1.54 Beta/19 on Windows NT 4.0 SP6